Today, the Belvedere is located in Vienna’s 3rd district. At the time of its construction, however, it was located outside the city walls and was built as a garden palace from 1714 to 1723 by Johann Lucas von Hildebrand for Prince Eugene of Savoy. The prince already had a city palace in Himmelpfortgasse, but it was only partially completed when he bought a plot of land on today’s Schwarzenbergplatz for a summer residence in 1697. The Lower Belvedere was ready for occupancy around 1716 and, in addition to only a few living rooms, offered above all a ceremonial hall and an orangery. The Upper Belvedere was not built until between 1720 and 1723, with the final work taking place in 1726, but the garden was started soon after the land was purchased. Dominique Girard began work on it around 1700 and did not complete it until 1725. The difference in level between the Upper and Lower Belvedere is 23 meters and so not only impressive open staircases were used, but also numerous fountains, which, with imperial permission, were supplied by the imperial court water system. The view from the Upper Belvedere certainly contributes to the naming of the palace, as it derives from the Italian “beautiful view”. However, the most important event at the Belvedere took place in 1955. For that was when the Austrian State Treaty was signed in the Upper Belvedere on May 15.